Sunday, September 25, 2005

Culture: He who is greater than thou

I spent the better part of last night talking to a good friend ~ P, who's now working in Dubai, on Skype. I was surprised at how clear the conversation went though she was calling from a COMPUTER. I was talking on my hand-phone.

I always thought the conversations would be of inferior quality with lotsa noise. Boy was I wrong... Will probably get me a headset today. I'm converted ~ Halleluiah!

Anyway, conversations lead to issues like how's life been, where we want to be in a few years, to how she gets groped over there in the Dubai for wearing semi-long pants (3/4 pants as we call them in Malaysia). Sometimes, men there whistle simply because she's wearing a T-shirt revealing her neck (ONLY)... Bloody perverts!

Its not easy to work and live in the Middle East, and I feel for her. As a guy who's worked in the Middle East, I must say it could get pretty rough/chauvinistic over there for a foreign woman.

Fortunately enough, in some parts of the world, chauvinism can be taken the piss out off. Hence signboards like this... spotted this in Jeju city during our visit last weekend.


*Note: 男子 = MAN

Here's to you P, hope you understand what the sign means, and do cheer up. :)

1 Comments:

At September 26, 2005 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erm..are you serious about this shop? it looks like a boutique but why would one need a "specialty" boutique as such? Or am I reading this wrong? hmm...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home