Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Food: BLACK pigs and staring fish heads

Every province in Korea boasts about their cuisine, and Jeju is no different. One of the biggest tourist (traps) is the so-called "Black pork" ~ Heukdoaeji Bulgogi (흑돼지불고기).

Honestly? Nothing special. But its worth a try, since I have not seen it much outside of Jeju just yet... or rather, I haven't looked all that hard.

Basically what it is, is a sun tanned pig ~ Black skin on the outside, same pink meat with the same taste on the inside. Best analogy: Opposite of Michael Jackson... bleached outside, black inside.

Was disappointed, because I was hoping it'd be like the black chickens back home ~ even the meat is dark!


Another dish would be fish head soup ~ Maeuntang (매운탕). The soup base is similar, but somewhat different to the Malaysian fish head curry. Spicy, but uses less condiments.

I guess if you were desperate enough for fish head (I was!), it'd be a pretty decent substitute... Mine even had the eyeball and everything staring back at me. *Evil laugh...

Other kinds of seafood that are typical of Jeju such as:

  • Squid ~ Ojingeo (오징어),
  • Hairtail fish ~ Kalchi (갈치)
  • Mackerel ~ Godongeo (고등어)

Preparations differ, but typically, they can be:

  • Boiled in soy bean sauce ~ Jorim (조림)
  • Grilled on a hotplate ~ Gu-i (구이)
  • Soup-based ~ Guk (국) or Tang (탕)
  • Casseroled ~ Jeongol (전골)
  • Barbeque ~ Bulgogi (불고기)
  • Raw ~ Hoei (회).

Note: 1,000 won ~ USD$1.00

Did I try all of them while in Jeju? No...

Well, there are some dishes that I can find in Suncheon, where I live. Prices here are lower, compared to the tourist prices you'd pay in Jeju. So I guess I'll save my two cents for a rainy day.

Anyway, I only have one stomach and I was there for only 3 days!

1 Comments:

At September 21, 2005 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey mr. kurious!

trying to keep up with your blogs but have not been very dilligent. haha...

really great photos btw.
hope all is going well.

kea

 

Post a Comment

<< Home