Friday, September 09, 2005

PMS: Pages that make no sense...

People... this will be the first of my post of "Pretty Much Senseless" (PMS) ideas and topics that I observe while on my way.

Maybe I think too much, but tell me this...... Would you set up a registration page for a web site, for foreigners, in a local language, which foreigners probably have no clue??


Recently, I had a few Korean friends who have given me their hompy addresses to check out. In order to leave comments on their pages, I needed a cyworld (hompy host) account. Hence I proceeded to try and find the registration page.



Lo and behold, the page pops up entirely in Korean. OK~ So I can read a wee bit of Korean, and could actually worm my way to the Foreigner Registration (외국인 가입하기) link. Sticking to what set out as a grand ambition to convert foreigners into getting with the language... even that was in Korean.

Dare argue that this is not a PMS moment?

But I guess something messed up along the way...... Since after the site accepted my registration information, I have not been able to log in, nor did I hear anything from them.

Ah well~ bugger if I'd be stressed about it. I guess I could use it as an excuse for a beer......

4 Comments:

At September 09, 2005 9:51 AM, Blogger San Nakji said...

I gave up on all that years ago. Korean sites just don't want non-nationals it seems...

 
At September 09, 2005 8:30 PM, Blogger Chris said...

HEY... I am Chris. You left me comment on my blog- thanks, I'll email you shorly.

Let me say about the cyworld mini hompi and leaving comments... I, too, have korean friends with these and found myself in your situation. However, at the time, my korean was so poor that I didn't know you needed an account. I simply typed in a username and password, and it let me leave a comment. Now, this is on what I believe is called the "Visitors" page, perhaps other pages will be different.

I used my adopted korean name in hangul as the username, and made up a word in the latin alphabet for my password, and I was able to leave comments. Might give it a try.

-Chris

 
At September 09, 2005 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing is with cyworld foreigner registration, in order to join, you have to attach a scanned copy of your passport or driver's license. And they send you a confirmation mail through hotmail. if you accept it, then you're a member. it normally takes couple of days..

 
At October 12, 2005 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been trying for weeks (registering multiple times with a picture of my passport)....the foreign registration page just doesn't work. Has anyone else tried this?

I had a Korean friend walk me through, and at the end when I submit....I go to a blank page. It doesn't say anything about my status...if it even bothered with my application. I looked at the html source....just blank. Doesn't seem to be a servlet error. Maybe the blank page is intentional?

This time I tried using my hotmail email account. Hopefully success this time, but so far no luck...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home