Thursday, September 01, 2005

Culture: Billboard Top 20 Korean family names

I haven't been too good on remembering some of the Korean names during my stay here. On the other hand, the Korean family names...... those are easy, because there are only a handful that I need to remember! Its always either a Mr. Kim, or Ms. Lee and occasionally a Mr. Byon, as well as Jung here and there.

So we had this discussion about what is the most popular family name in Korea, and how many exactly??

I came up with the following search result last night from Wikipedia.com and the Rep. of Korea National Statistics Bureau. Its a census done in 2000.

Dude...... its amazing that 20% of the ~46 million population has the "Kim" family name! I mean, you could guess, and probably get it right. Otherwise, try "Lee" or "Park". That should work too.

If you forgot someone's name, try the "Good morning Mr. Kim, erm...... I mean Lee, erm..... Park?" thing I always do. It works ;)

3 Comments:

At September 01, 2005 1:40 PM, Blogger De.lir.i.ous said...

dude! its good to see u blog everyday. least it kinda feeds on what is happening around ur side of the world and what kinda daily crap ur up to (haha), which comes to the point, where i have to gruesomely admit that i kinda miss u! =(

come back quick so we can hang again hehe...

*hugz

sharon

 
At September 01, 2005 6:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

hi vincent,
thanks for blogrolling my page :))
I shall add yours too...
did jiby pass on my blog link to you??
cheers n have fun
satish

 
At September 01, 2005 7:38 PM, Blogger Felix :O) said...

hahaha! that's good one...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home