Friday, February 10, 2006

Culture: Middle Eastern caligraphy

Being inspired by Gdimension's post today about a renowned calligrapher on Jeju Island, I have decided to re-post these pictures I took from Dubai some 3 years back.

These are Middle Eastern calligraphy pieces from an exhibition at the Al-Makthoum house.

As I understand it, most of the writings depict verses of praise to Allah from the Quran ~ Holy book of the Muslims.



They are so different to what I'm used to! Coming from a Chinese background, these writings were definitely an eye opener.















*Note: This is a repost from the old blog, since the Friendster service that it is on isn't reliable AT ALL. All of my archives there do not show anymore.

3 Comments:

At February 10, 2006 6:56 PM, Blogger A world that i've seen said...

amazing...but too bad..
i dun understand jawi lah..
only can see a horse..a keris..
the rest no clue at all..

 
At February 11, 2006 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the link.

I find the style of calligraphy that you posted to be quite interesting - never seen anything like it. Pretty cool how they work the writing into the pictures...

 
At February 11, 2006 9:36 AM, Blogger Kurios1978 said...

Jp: I can't read either, but I enjoyed the whole gallery. There's so much to it that scribbles!

g: I thought you might enjoy this kind of artsy fartsy post. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home