Sunday, October 09, 2005

Language: Killing me gently with her words

OK, so you'd think that living in a foreign country where people don't speak YOUR language could drive you crazy. How about when some people DON'T WANT to speak your language?

~ Argh ~




There's this girl. We're friends and all, but the only quirk is, she simply refuses to send me text messages in bl***y English! I guess I am still interested enough (I am referring to the language!), that I put up with it, and try to look it up in a dictionary or a thesaurus.



Straight forward? Blah~ wrong!

The Korean language involves conjugations, where entire words change based on the 1.seniority of the person you are speaking to, 2.time frame, and 3.intent. So sometimes you just sit there thinking:

"What the crap is she trying to tell me??!!"
"Is she married, or does she want to get married?"
"Did she have dinner with him, or did she have him for dinner?!"

As if it weren't hard enough to type in English too, now I have to reply in Korean.

I guess I'm getting better. In the beginning, a message like that one could take me 1/2 an hour...... Now it takes me 10 minutes. Fighting!

8 Comments:

At October 09, 2005 8:06 AM, Blogger Cameron Lawrence said...

Oh, man. Good luck, brother. That's tough. It's the best way to learn, though. Keep at it.

 
At October 09, 2005 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You probably know by now, but...

"I'm having a hard time, so can you buy me a drink? Now.."

That's it - roughly, anyway.

So...did you buy her a drink?

 
At October 09, 2005 8:56 AM, Blogger Kurios1978 said...

Cam: Thanks. I suppose so mate... I suppose so.

G: Ha ha... yeah, I finally figured that one out after awhile. Took me a helluva long time though. :P

There were some other messages that absolutely got me in a bind though. Bummer.

 
At October 09, 2005 2:46 PM, Blogger edina monsoon said...

Is it true..everyone in Korea has a flip-phone?? I noticed yours is of that variety too.

 
At October 09, 2005 3:07 PM, Blogger Kurios1978 said...

Edina. It seems that the stereotype could be accurate. Rather than saying all are flip phones, I'd rephrase that as

"All phones have some form of a moveable cover, or outer-shell, which protects the phone buttons".

Example: Some CYONs don't have a flip cover, but a sliding cover. Some phones even have parts that twist AND turn... Will blog about it soon. :)

 
At October 09, 2005 5:25 PM, Blogger edina monsoon said...

Looking forward to that blog.

 
At October 09, 2005 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehehe... rong xian kor kor what a weird friend U have hey... BUT u got a nice phone!!! How bout a nice samsung phone for my birthday???? :P Love ya heaps!!!!

 
At October 10, 2005 7:00 AM, Blogger Chris said...

I can truly sympathize with your plight here. But, let me say this - I have found hangul FAR EASIER to type on my cell phone than english. But like you, my problem is limited knowledge of the language.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home