Friday, October 07, 2005

Culture: Them and their bloody slippers!

As you all know by now that I work on a construction site right? So basically everyone is dragging their feet through sand, mud, in and out of water... and we get dirty.

In the middle of our site, we have this big building, which we call the Central Control Room (CCR). It is where the brains of the plant is, and where the operators have the big screens, push buttons, and work-stations to control the plant. It is also in the midst of construction, even though for the most parts, its already a completely functional building.

Now here's the deal... when you walk in to the CCR, you'd think you'd be able to wear your boots.

BIG N.O. ~ NO!
Not even after you've wiped your boots clean of dirt!



Koreans are clean freaks, let's admit it. Its a good thing... but not on a job site!

To go upstairs to the CCR, you put on a pair of slippers before you go about your business! I had to go see someone for two seconds the other day, and had to change into them things!

Silly obsession ~ Argh!

4 Comments:

At October 07, 2005 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me, it has gotten so bad that, whenever I go home (to the US), I start taking off my shoes whenever I walk into a house. The stares I get....

I think people think I'm trying to "show off" at how "worldly" I have become. Little do they know, it is nothing but habit.

 
At October 08, 2005 1:39 AM, Blogger Stefan Ewing said...

I grew up in North America, and always used to wear shoes at home. Now, I can't even conceive of the idea of walking through a house wearing shoes! Bringing all that stuff inside—yecch!

But having to wear slippers at a worksite? That's just weird. It would only make sense if the CCR were a cleanroom where they made computer chips or something. Otherwise, it's just silly!

 
At October 09, 2005 9:03 AM, Blogger Kurios1978 said...

Its a good culture ~ I like it. We take off our shoes too, at home in Malaysia. But Sewing is right... on a construction site (no, the equipment is not THAT sensitive), its just silly...

 
At October 10, 2005 6:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Korean clean freaks? Not the way I see it. Have you come across vomit on the street (from someone's hard night drinking) or the random woman letting her son/child pee out in the open. Sure, Koreans can be more open about bodily functions, but I think it's not too public health consciouss.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home