Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Nature: More melons...

After the post yesterday on that weird melon (left pic), I remembered... "Hey, I've seen more funky melons around!".

Dug up some pics, and here's another one that I spotted at Nagan. OK, so it could be rooftop crops. Or maybe pre-modernization engineering had them there to hold down the straw roofs??
OK, what about this ~ cool decoration eh? My first guess would be a restaurant serving melon-ish dishes... Unfortunately not, from the looks of the menu outside.


Some Koreans use their melons in ways too, that have nothing to do with nature. Here's a great example ~ Ms. Sung Hee Lee.

Yup, spotting more melons along the way...

3 Comments:

At October 26, 2005 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those roofs have a base of dirt. I read somewhere that people would throw seeds up there in hopes they would grow. The root structure helped keep the integrity of the dirt roof against the rain. Of course since I can't remember where I read it take it with a grain of salt.

I am particular fond of those melons in the bottom photo.

 
At October 27, 2005 1:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you sure it's a melon hanging from the tree or on rooftops? i thought they were a type of squash.

 
At October 27, 2005 5:24 AM, Blogger Kurios1978 said...

I'm pretty sure that was a melon... had the stripes and all, and it was twice the size of a football!

Joel: Yes, ditto on the last comment. Love your Girl Monday posts by the way... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home